Ask any lash technician, and they’ll tell you that eyelash extensions have the power to change lives. They make your eyes pop, let you say goodbye to mascara for good, and give you the confidence of a fresh tan. And when we’ve spent time creating beautiful fluffy lashes for our clients, we can’t let them go home empty-handed; it’s important that all of our clients know how to clean eyelash extensions.
This is where a dedicated lash extension aftercare routine comes in! After all, we not only want our clients to walk away from our salon feeling fabulous, but we want them to stay that way until they come back for an infill!
Want to learn more? Keep reading to learn about how to clean eyelash extensions and some of our recommended aftercare products!
- Should you wash eyelash extensions?
- The benefits of regular lash cleansing
- What to use to clean eyelash extensions & a step-by-step guide
Should you wash eyelash extensions?
Yes, yes and yes! Regularly washing black or natural lashes is like brushing your teeth - absolutely essential.
Nothing is more upsetting and frustrating to us lash addicts, than one of our clients returning for their 3-week infill to discover they have 3 weeks’ worth of crud, dirt, debris and old eye makeup stuck across their lash line.
As a lash tech, it’s your responsibility to inform your clients on how to clean eyelash extensions properly. Remember, some clients might worry about losing their black lashes if they wash them - but the opposite is actually true.
The benefits of regular lash cleansing
- Cleansing removes oil, dirt and debris that have built up, and helps lashes last much (much) longer.
- Cleanliness prevents conditions such as Blepharitis and conjunctivitis.
- Cleansing daily prevents any build up of lash mites (Demodex).
- Your client’s lashes will continue to look great right up until the next infills.
- Your work will be made easier, quicker and a whole lot more pleasant when they return for touch ups.
- Your client’s eyes won’t get irritated when they’re kept clean.
- Gorgeous lashes are always a great advertisement for your business.
- Cleansing helps keep the lashes healthy by allowing air to circulate around the hair shaft and follicle.
- Educating your clients shows professionalism.
- Retailing a good quality eyelash extension aftercare increases sales for your business.
- And last but not least, great lashes help to create MORE business right?!
How to clean eyelash extensions
When it comes to showing your clients how to clean eyelash extensions, there’s no better way than to demonstrate in person. This is a great time to recommend the best aftercare products too!
When clients return for their infills, it’s also a good idea to ask how they got on with their lashes for the past 3 weeks. If you happen to notice any dirt or old makeup on the lash line, then speak up - you need to reiterate the importance of cleansing thoroughly.
To make things easy for both you and your clients, we’ve written a quick step-by-step guide on how to clean eyelash extensions. Feel free to print this out and give it to your clients!
Step by step
- If you’re wearing a full face of makeup, remove this first with an oil free makeup cleanser/remover.
- If you’re wearing eyeliner on top of your lash extensions, then you’ll need to remove this too (with an oil-free makeup remover). Dip a cotton bud into the makeup remover and gently swipe it across your lash line. Make sure the cotton bud is saturated with the makeup remover. If you don’t want to use a cotton bud, you can use cosmetic sponges too!
- Wet your eyes with some cold water. Take a small amount of foaming lash shampoo (we recommend the Chrissanthie Eyelid Cleanser) and lather it up on the back of your hand.
- Swirl a lash cleansing brush into the cleanser until the brush is covered in product. Very gently, take the lash cleansing brush and brush downwards on the lashes of your eye. Do not rub your eyes rigorously.
- Once your lashes are clean, gently splash some water onto your eye to wash off the foaming cleanser.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 if needed. Gently pat your eyes dry.
- Brush your lashes as per usual with a lash wand - and that’s it!
- To extend the life of your black or coloured eyelash extensions even more, invest in some silk pillowcases and a silk eye mask. We toss and turn a lot in our sleep, and overtime, our cotton pillowcases can start to gently tug on our lashes.
- It’s a great idea to give your clients an aftercare card to take with them! This little card will tell them what to do and not to do, and they can keep it in their bathroom as a guide. You can get these made up easily and cheaply.
At the end of the day, clean lashes are happy lashes! So, our dear Lash Sistas, make sure your shelves are stocked with all of the best aftercare products! It’ll not only help your clients get the most out of their lashes, but it’ll save them the hassle of researching what to buy and what not to buy.
You can shop lash extension aftercare products right here at The Lash Sista! With free shipping on orders over $150, what are you waiting for? Get shopping!